Unfortunately hackers take advantage of the multitude of bargain-seeking online shoppers to upload malware and viruses to unsuspecting shoppers. Here are a few tips to keep in mind to maximize your security while shopping online this holiday season.
- Avoid clicking emailed or pop-up advertisements, its safer to go straight to the company’s website and browse for the advertised promotion. Some advertisements look legitimate but may not actually have been created by the company being advertised.
- Do not download movies or videos from third-party websites. These downloads often have secondary hidden downloads that carry infectious files.
- Make sure your PC is protected properly – that includes making sure your anti-virus software up-to-date and working, that your PC’s software is fully updated and that you have some form of browsing protection to help protect you from any infected sites that you may not be aware of. If you are currently subscribed to our RushTech IT Security managed service you are in good shape.
- Watch out for phishing emails and other emails that look questionable. Hackers can try to get personal information in addition to uploading viruses. Check-out our last email about phishing for more information on how to spot a phishing email.
- Shop using a credit card rather than a debit card to provide an extra layer of protection just in case you make a purchase from a regrettable website.
- Make sure that you see an “https://” in the browser address before you enter any sensitive personal or financial information.
So it all starts with simply being aware of the fact that during the holiday shopping season there is a higher risk. This is no different than the awareness that you already have that going to the shopping mall this time of year or being in a crowded place puts you at a higher risk of “pick pocketers” and “purse snatchers”. Nothing to fear if you are aware and prepared.
This article has been publish with the permission of Rush Technologies, Inc., which offers a no cost, no obligation detailed analysis of your network and IT systems, including cloud storage, hardware evaluation, and back-up solutions.